Expanding Global Horizons Locally
Asia Business Group's client commands a majority share of the Japanese automotive stainless steel market. As a Fortune 500 company, the client has a large global footprint to match its multi-billion sales. The company’s two North American production facilities are well staffed and very busy meeting the daily needs of its existing customer base so when it decided to investigate new markets for its products, the company turned to Asia Business Group for help.
Our task was to look for niche applications for new and existing products both domestically and internationally. Our work with this client took us to the most remote corners of some of America’s largest markets: agricultural, construction, architectural, and automotive. This report focuses exclusively on school bus and automotive exhaust applications.
The global nature of auto manufacturing often means that the design location is different from the production location. Understanding the supply chain is essential. What is manufactured in Mexico or China may be designed in Detroit, Stuttgart, Spain, or Indianapolis and can even be purchased in a third location. For this product line, an intimate understanding of US tariffs was also needed to promote the right products to the right manufacturing locations.
Our work included:
- Entry strategy development
- Primary market research
- Translation of product specifications from Japanese to English
- Development of English language marketing collateral
- Identification of key tier-one manufacturers and each company's engineering and purchaing decision makers
- All contact with the target company
- Onsite interpretation for Japanese executives
- All subsequent follow up
- ABG identified, contacted, met with, and developed relationships with all major North American tier-one and tier-two OEM and aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, most of which had no prior knowledge of the company’s products.
- The three largest school bus manufacturer were identified, contacted, and sampled.
- Numerous face-to-face meetings were held with engineering and purchasing executives.
- Connections were made between the client and its prospects’ global manufacturing networks.
Asia Business Group provided much needed market access to the client and was able to develop key relationships that have resulted in product sales. The client’s brand was advanced at these companies and it is now able to make use of that awareness in the US and around the globe.